Friday, January 18, 2008

Gotta Write Something

It's been too long since anything has been posted here so I thought I would write something. We are heading into a new year and I always come up with some resolutions in the back of my mind but rarely d0 I ever write them down or followup on them at the end of the year. So let's see... what resolutions can I publicly express that I can boast up if I succeed or laugh off if I fail.

1. Beat Nate and Aaron in the 4th of July 5k Freedom Run.

2. Work out at least 3 times a week.

3. Attend the temple once a month

4. Call Mom & Dad weekly

5. Stop muching on the box of Costco chocolate chip cookies someone left on my desk.

6. Find a way to spiritually connect with my Heavenly Father each day

7. Substitute TV time for more time with wife and kids.


Ok, I got the resolutions out of the way. Boy these cookies sure are good though.

These past couple weeks have been a little rough due to a good friend of ours passing a way. We've known he and his family since we moved down to Phoenix in 1999. He was only 44 and died of cancer. He leaves behind his wife and 5 kids. At the funeral, the Bishop talked about two questions that are typically asked of a Bishop and that we often ask ourselves. He said one he can answer and one he cannot. The first question is Why? And he answered that by saying, "There is only one way into this world and one way out".

The second question is Why Now? I guess I struggle with this question the most because my mind wants a resolution or a meaning and the only thing my mind can latch onto is hope. This expectation and desire that everything I know about the gospel will be fulfilled and that his wife and kids will find a strength and purpose in his passing. I hope. Sometimes it doesn't feel like enough but I like the line in the Shawshank Redemption where Andy tells Red, "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

4 comments:

Jen said...

I am sorry to hear about your friend. I will have you know, Aaron is working out quite hard. He is determined not to let you win. :):) I am excited to see this race. May the best man win.

Nate said...

O man! I am going to be left in the dust.

How about we just calculate the winner based off of numbers of hours worked out multiplied by our time. This way, I can win with out even going running.

Until then--If I had to put money on somebody besides myself, I would definately go with Bob! Sorry Aaron.

Andrea said...

These are all reachable goals so good for you for making them.One of my favorite quotes of all time is, "Get busy living or get busy dying" which is also from Shawshank.

As for goal #1, I'm not so sure it is obtainable. It's going to be a good fight and I'm super excited to be at the finish line on July 4th.

In my opinion, if the race were a little shorter--say 150 meters--then no doubt Nate would take it.
Unfortunately, it's about 3.05 miles too long for his taste. I also think if he were committed and had the time to train, he'd win--out of all Paxman boys his body is most like the Kenyans.

Now if it comes down to who has the most time to work out, the facilities, and the drive, I'd say Aaron (so really he has no excuse if he loses).

If this race were run 10-15 years ago, then Bob would have won hands down. Remember Thanksgiving?

All I know is I love all this trash-talking and it's going to be a good race!

Chris and J'Nett said...

Wow!! I don't know what to say...what an awesome goal...I won't try to bet any of you but I will run in the race with ya...Good luck!!!