Sunday, July 20, 2008

Spotlight on Danya

Well, I guess the spotlight is on me this week since I did everyone else in the family already. Who knows, maybe you'll learn something new about me! I'll try to do "unknown" facts...

I was born on Dec. 6th - in some year... My dad gave me the name of Danya Janae Spann. I was supposed to be Dacia, but when I came out, my dad said that I wasn't Dacia (of course that belonged to the sister that followed me 18 months later).

My favorite color is red (although I love pink as well). I started learning to play piano when I was 4 or 5. My mom taught me for a few years and then I had various teachers.

I can't waterski and every person who swears they can get me up on skis I have turned into liars! LOL! I just don't like the feeling of my arms ripping out of their sockets I guess. I have snow skiied though (I'm not terribly good at that either). I love to play volleyball and basketball, but I haven't in years (except for the kids hoop at my house). I played basketball, softball and volleyball on our church team all through young women's.

My junior year of high school I was selected to go to Girls State in Utah. We pretended to form our own city/government for a week. I was elected "postmaster" thanks to seeing my dad do his job on occasion. I have traveled from coast to coast throughout my life since I have grandparents in CA and SC. I left the country once to see Niagara Falls. Ok, that hardly qualifies, but I still left!

I love teaching piano and watching kids learn and succeed in music and life. I taught middle school choir in Tempe for a year and also substitute taught for about 8 months until Channing was born. I would just like to say, middle school kids can be tough to teach! I enjoyed alot of it, but really disliked dealing with the parents who thought their kids were perfect (especially when they were far from it). Maybe one day I'll return to it. I'll be much wiser the next time around!

My favorite place to visit is Patrick's Point State Park on the Northern CA coast. I'd go there right now if I could! I would love to visit places like Europe or some exotic island somewhere (doesn't matter where because I've never been to any and I have nothing to compare it to).

I recently started do family search indexing and have been transferring handwritten names from the 1870 Ohio census to typed records so people can search for their ancestors. I've also started scanning my grandfather's slide collection (about 7500 slides). Some are over 60 years old. It's been quite a challenge. I think I'm about 1/4 done. Lots more to do!

Ok, that's enough about me.

No comments: