Sometimes there are once-in-a-lifetime opportunites. I decided to take advantage of one this past week. On Monday morning, June 1, at 9am, I dragged my 3 kids to the state capitol in downtown Phoenix to see the release of the Arizona state quarter. It was blazing hot, even early in the morning. My kids pretty much had no clue what was going on (but hey, they knew they were going to get a free quarter out of it)!

We saw the governor speak (not really all that exciting for me, but hey, she's the ranking leader of the state). There were a bunch of dignitaries/legislators (also not that exciting). After some hoopla and speaking about the history of the state quarter, they finally pinned up a large replica on the map and all the kids in attendance got a free, shiny, uncirculated, Arizona State Quarter. We're the 48th state, so we had to wait a long time to get it! (don't ask me where my kids put their quarters. Cameron lost his in the car on the drive home and I have no idea where Channing's is. I do know where Cason's is because I took it out of his mouth and had to confiscate it - "Eat food, not money," is my new motto)!
They also provided "Mint" ice cream drumsticks for everyone (now that was a real treat since it was so hot)! Anyway, that was an interesting once-in-a-lifetime experience.
They also provided "Mint" ice cream drumsticks for everyone (now that was a real treat since it was so hot)! Anyway, that was an interesting once-in-a-lifetime experience.

4 comments:
What a cool thing to do. You are so great at taking your kids fun places.
I like your new motto! So funny!
I hadn't even heard that was happening. I'm all about those kinds of experiences. What a great mom to share them with your kids!
Nate and I found this entry freaking hilarious. I love that the quarters were lost even before you got home. Oh well, you did participate in a once in a lifetime, historical event!
I love your new motto as well... Good for you on getting involved in the community though!! My new motto... " Never leave your kid alone with an open yogurt."
Post a Comment