Saturday, June 7, 2008

Silent Witness

Sometimes we just have weird days. This was one of them....

On Wednesday, I was teaching piano lessons in the morning when there was a knock at the door. I could see through the window shutters that there was a man standing there. We get alot of salesmen for alarm systems and pest control and I decided to not answer it. He knew we were home though so he persisted and knocked again. I answered the door to tell him to go away and it was a cop, not a salesman. He said he was from the Silent Witness program and they were filming a video for internal use in front of our house and he wondered if they could use the outside of our house to show things that you should do to protect your house from a burgular (trim shrubs etc..). I told him to go ahead and do whatever he needed to. He said thanks, and then he left with his film crew (2 other people).

A few minutes later, he knocked again and the request got stranger. "You don't have to do this you don't want to, but we were wondering if we could film your kids playing in the house to show that locks protect not only our things, but our children." Now normally I would have said, no way! But since these guys were obviously cops/detectives I was fine with it. Plus this was an internal video that the public would not see. So we let them come in and film a segment in front of the door showing the deadbolt and the other lock we have. Then they filmed a segment that talked about protecting our children and locking our door during the day as well as the night. The detective had a script that he had memorized and he just said his lines while the he pretended to play chess with Channing and one of my piano students played with Cason by throwing a ball. (Cameron was running all over the house, so he wasn't actually in the video).
So that was a very strange day! I managed to snap a picture of them standing outside by the mailboxes as they were filming another segment about mail. I wish I would have asked them to take a picture with the kids before they left. I'm sure they would have. They just left their name and number in case we had any questions.

Not sure why they picked out neighborhood to film all this stuff, but they did. As they were leaving 1 guy got a call that their next segment was set-up and ready to go. Something about 2 cops and a fake arrest! LOL! Glad we didn't have to be part of that one!

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Ya, that's kinda creepy. I think I would have been a little freaked out. Maybe I'm just paranoid...did they show you there badges?

Bob and Danya said...

Ya, they had the solid gold badges and their name was embroidered on their shirts. They weren't creepy or anything at all. It was just a strange situation. But I know they do things like that down here in Phoenix. We had a friend who was asked formally in a letter if the Phoenix PD could use their house for a commercial and they'd pay her some compensation. So it's not totally weird I guess.