Saturday, May 24, 2008

Channing, no longer a Kindergartener!


Yesterday was the last day of school for Channing. His class performed at least 25 songs that they learned throughout the year. Never underestimate a Kindergartener! They are little sponges. It was amazing to see them remember so much music and the actions that went with them. Very awesome!



Channing was very lucky to have an incredible teacher this year. Mr. John is probably one of the most patient men I have ever met. I never heard him raise his voice in anger. He taught the kids so many wonderful life lessons. We are all sad to see him go (they are moving to Texas). Channing loved his teacher very much. He was really excited to be done with school for the summer, but I think he will realize in a week or so that he really misses his teacher and friends.

This week was filled with lots of fun at school. On Tuesday, the kids had a water day where we took hoses and sprinklers and had a few small pools filled up. And of course there were water balloons. I took Cameron and Cason and we helped set up. We watched the kids run all over the school yard for an hour and a half. Dipping in the pool, running through the sprinklers and throwing water balloons at their teacher (lucky for him the kids don't aim very well). Everyone had a wonderful time.

On Wednesday parents made homemade ice cream and we had a little goodbye party for Mr. John. Bob made some vanilla ice cream that was very tasty! It was about 105 degrees that day and the ice cream melted very fast! It was a great treat on such a hot day.

Yesterday was the little singing program and then Mr. John took each student one by one and thanked them for what they had brought to the class this past year. There wasn't a dry eye in the place (well, except for the kids who are still processing what all this means). He then tied a silk cape on each child. It was very sweet and how he did it an maintained his composure was amazing. I could never do that and keep it together. He thanked Channing for always keeping them on time (I had no idea that he did this at school). He said something else, but I can't remember. Something about being friends with everybody I think. It was really cute.

Afterward we had a potluck lunch with all the student, teachers and parents. Potlucks are always interesting at this school. There are always dishes that I have never seen or heard of at every one. Usually they're pretty good as well.

It was a fun time for everyone this week I think. We thank Channing's teacher for the love and patience that he had thoughout the year. Our experience at this school will be one that we will never forget. Having a great teacher makes all the difference in children's lives.

This is a video of the class singing some of their songs. Channing is wearing a navy blue shirt with white stripes. You don't see him right at first but after about 15 seconds he slides into the picture.

3 comments:

Jerlyn said...

Channing, you are growing up way too fast. Hayden loved watching your movie clip. He wants to come play with you and has talked about you all weekend. Congratulations, buddy. We love you!

Heidi said...

SO cute! He is getting so big! Whats the deal with the silk capes?

Bob and Danya said...

I don't really know why they do silk capes. They play with silks indoors alot when they build huts (they have these huge blocks to build things out of in the classroom). So it's probably just a waldorf thing. The kids love to run around in their capes though. On day we went to schoola nd there were 25 kids running around in yellow capes. It was hilarious!